Monday, February 29, 2016

The unflinching capture of unchallenged thoughts



For longer than I can remember, I've had unannounced ideas and thoughts and phrases pop into my head to pronounce their greatness, only to leave just as quickly, as it laughing, forever getting lost in the fog of oblivion, their presumptive greatness never to be tested or challenged.
No longer. I am writing these suckers down, forcing them into a page. Or, as is my case, the insipid Notes app inside a cold iPhone. If they are indeed great or have potential, they'll be freed. Otherwise, they'll face true oblivion, no longer tormenting me with What Ifs and You Should Haves.
Here's one such sentence:

I don't have spontaneous lyricism.

Oh, well.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯



'Spotlight' won best movie and since we're talking about good journalism and films here's a 360-degree scene from the Frontline virtual reality documentary "On the Brink of Famine," which airs March 1, which is tomorrow, which is the future.


The Camp: On the Brink of Famine - 360° Video

Imagine having to leave your family, your home, everything you hold dear, and walk alone for days just to find food and shelter. Eventually, you end up in a camp with over 120,000 others who, like you, fled the violence of civil war -- living on the brink of starvation.It’s one thing to read about it. It’s another to experience it. We invite you to go inside a UN camp in South Sudan via Facebook 360° in this scene from “On the Brink of Famine.” The full VR documentary, by FRONTLINE and The Brown Institute for Media Innovation with support from the Ford Foundation and MINY Media Center by IFP, premieres March 1.

Posted by FRONTLINE on Thursday, February 25, 2016

***

PSA: You, too, can be an Amazon best-selling author, because it's utterly meaningless.

***
One video: The internets is currently watching "My dog likes to look at me while I eat, until I catch him and he looks away from me" because of course it is.





The Four:
The Booth house is literally falling apart.
New trick! Old dogs for old cats.
What's the worst thing that could happen with those trains carrying crude oil cutting through the city of Kingston all the time?, asked people who never want to sleep.
*  Water wars.

One cat: One pig



Yesterday's Internet, Today! is a spontaneous unapologetic explosion of curiously curated links.